Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lets save some dough

Today we are talking dough. Play dough that it. The term play dough is used daily in our house and some days hourly. I love letting the kids play with play dough. It encourages creativity, it is simple, and when my two year old takes a bite of it when I turn my head I don't have to call poison control. So while we have cookie cutter, spaghetti string makers, and rolling pins galore, often when it comes time to play it is all dried out or yucky. Someone left the lid off, forgot to put it away, squished it all together and made brown, or worse ate it. After our first 20 packages of play dough, I thought to myself “Self...there has to be a better way.”. A better way there is. So I Googled and found a ton of recipes. Then, found the right one for us.



Here is what you need:



1 cup of flour

1 cup of water

¼ cup of salt

2 teaspoons of cream of tartar

1 tablespoon of oil

food coloring (as much as you want for the color you want)



Here is how to make it:

Step 1 Dump it all in a pot

Step 2 Turn the heat on a medium- high temperature. Then start stirring. Don't stop.

Step 3 Keep stirring. It will start to come together after a few minutes.

Step 4 Once it all comes together with no “wet” spots get it out of the pot.

Step 5 Kneed it for a few minutes (this is really fun because it is warm.)

Step 6 PLAY!!!



That is it and way cheaper then the stuff you buy at the store. I think this also a great homemade gift or gift for party guests. This is also a great rainy day activity for little ones. Some how things are SOOO much more fun when we make them ourselves. Please leave comments on this or any other great way to save money below!



Happy Savings,

Lynden

2 comments:

  1. I so wish my kids were young enough to still enjoy this! And I wish I would've thought of this when they were little. By the way, I think you're awesome. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha that is so funny because I think you are awesome too!!

    ReplyDelete